True stories of a small flock of remarkable individuals -- and other critters.



Friday, December 19, 2014

LESSONS FROM LUCY



Lucy was a special-needs hen.

At the age of six months, she was stricken with Marek's disease. She survived, but her legs and her stamina were permanently affected. 

Lucy needed me, so she invited me into her life. 

For six and a half years Lucy and I shared a beautiful trusting friendship. She taught me what it's like to be a chicken.  And she taught me what it means to be alive. 

This October Lucy fell ill. I recognized her symptoms at once, and made a confident decision on her behalf.  I called Rosario, the wonderful vet who I wrote about in my book, and she met Sarah and me in our backyard the next day. Together we gave Lucy a comfortable ending while I held this beautiful hen my arms. 

It has been an honor to share Lucy with the world. I continue to be amazed at the way she touches people's lives in my book, Once Upon a Flock, in my blog stories, and on Facebook. 

Lucy's flock mourned her passing.  And now her flock guides me in moving forward.  Because the sun is shining, and it's a beautiful day. 

If you, too, aspire to attain the wisdom of a chicken, here are a few pointers:




Thank you for following my stories, and stay tuned for more tales of a soulful flock!






18 comments:

  1. Beautiful Lauren. Lucy has taught us a lot about life. It is always a pleasure to read about her and her friends. Bless you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lauren,

    we'd heard about Lucy's passing; she was, after all, a local celebrity! While Bill & I are deeply sorry for your loss, we're glad she was with you for so long. She has indeed influenced many people, far beyond the scope of an "ordinary" chicken! Thank you for sharing her with all of us - she was, and still is, VERY special.

    fondly,
    Bill & Jane down the road.

    ReplyDelete
  3. can really sympathize with the last one, can be hard sometimes but so true!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sorry to hear about Lucy. I enjoyed your book and reading blog posts about the flock. I hope you will keep sharing their exploits with us chicken lovers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sad that Lucy has gone but she had a long and happy life with you despite being a special needs chicken and what more could a chicken ask than that. Remember her with a smile.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful post and tribute to a sweet girl who touched so many lives, mine being one of them. So sorry for your loss. Lucy was absolutely one of a kind!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A wonderful tribute to Lucy! Thank you for the wise words.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, Lucy was a wise chicken...thanks for the pointers.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So sorry for your loss and how blessed Lucy was to have you to love and and care for her!!! ALL of Gods creatures go to Heaven!!! I firmly believed this before the Pope said it too!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am taking her clucks of wisdom to heart and holding you in mine while you heal. xo Linda

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sweet Lucy was a lucky hen to have an extended family of such well meaning humans. I'm so sorry to hear that she's gone, but I love remembering her life and adventures through your wonderful blog and illustrations.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Blogging is the new poetry. I find it wonderful and amazing in many ways.

    ReplyDelete
  13. My lady says that chickens are very special. I chase them but she tells me that if I had a conversation with the ladies instead of telling them to get out of my way that I might learn some hen wisdom. I'm sorry that you've lost your Lucy. xoxo Izzle.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love your book and I'm so sad that there is no more sweet, funny Lucy. But, luckily, she can still spread happiness in your book. Goodbye, Lucy.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sorry I've been AWOL for awhile, but you brought Lucy and the others so vividly to life with your books, blog, photos and WONDERFUL drawings. Is the mean golden one still alive? Who's the new Alpha? ~ Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  16. It's spring! We need at least one seasonal update on the girls, - if only that they survived that brutal winter. ~ Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wonderful blog! I found it while surfing around on Yahoo News.
    Do you have any suggestions on how to get listed in Yahoo News?
    I’ve been trying for a while but I never seem to get there!

    Cheers

    Feel free to visit my page :::: 오피사이트

    (freaky)

    ReplyDelete