True stories of a small flock of remarkable individuals -- and other critters.



Saturday, February 27, 2010

BUDUP

...continued from the previous post, BROODY LUCY


 Lucy continued to sit faithfully on her eggs and chant, 'budup".    While I'd read that a broody hen hops off the nest once or twice a day to get some food and to stretch her legs, Lucy wasn't able to get up.  The lack of movement weakened her twisted toes, and she just couldn't lift herself.  So a couple of times a day I helped Lucy off the nest.  I'd hold her for a bit until her legs stretched out and she could stand on her own.



She'd gulp down her food and guzzle some water, then she'd expel the most revolting poop, and then hobble about for a little while pecking at grass and enjoying her brief time outdoors. 
This was the moment Hatsy waited for.



 She'd make a beeline for the open door of Lucy's coop.  

She'd step gingerly inside and  utter a few sweet words to the precious eggs.


Then she'd scoot them around a bit with her beak and try to sit on them.  
She tried, but never did master the art of egg-sitting.

  One of the eggs would inevitably pop out from under her.

When Lucy returned to her nest, all it took was a look from Lucy to get Auntie Hatsy off the eggs.


.  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  

Although  we knew that only one of those eggs was fertile, I didn't want to cause Lucy any distress by removing the infertile one. I saw no harm in leaving it in the nest...



....until one night while cruising the chicken-websites, I read that a bad egg left in the nest could actually explode.  I grabbed a flashlight and scurried right out to Lucy's coop and removed the festering time bomb. 

She never missed it. I guess chickens can't count.

Lucy sat and sat - chanting  budup - budup - budup - day in and day out. 


Lil'White was only mildly interested in Lucy's business, while Hatsy's curiosity verged on obsession. 



At times Lucy appeared a bit annoyed with her little red friend.



  

.  .  .  .  .  .coming next:  A HARROWING MORNING

25 comments:

  1. I just found your blog from Urban Chickens on facebook and i LOVE LOVE LOVE it! I can't wait for more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those pictures are AWESOME. How did you ever get a shot of Hatsy spying on Lucy from outside her coop??? It's too brilliant for words!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Jeanenne and Kristina --
    Lucy's the best -- She puts up with me nearly climbing into her nestbox with her... I think it's because with her handicap she knows she needs my help sometimes, and she's grown to really trust me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm laughing so hard I'm crying! The photos of Hatsy's "obsession" has me in stitches!! Thank you, thank you for a great laugh! I LOVE this blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That picture of Hatsy looking through the window!!! I'm tearing up...

    ReplyDelete
  6. New reader here! Amazing/brilliant blog you have here. So glad I found it :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. I`m another new reader.....I too am in stitches over your story telling and photo monolog!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your blog. Blog on....
    Renee

    ReplyDelete
  9. When Lucy returned to her nest, all it took was a look from Lucy to get Auntie Hatsy off the eggs.

    ReplyDelete