True stories of a small flock of remarkable individuals -- and other critters.



Friday, August 8, 2014

Hummingbird


.  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  

While I dilly-dallied in my garden yesterday, mesmerized by a clean arc of sparkling water flowing from the hose nozzle, I was startled by a very small hummingbird who darted around my head and then hovered above the stream of water.

I held completely still, hoping that it would stay for a moment.  
It was exquisite, and especially tiny, even for a hummingbird. When I spied three shimmering red feathers on its chin, I knew it was a young male Ruby Throated.

I guessed he had come to take a sip, so I held the stream steady while he whizzed around it.
He examined the water from all angles, but he didn't touch it with his  beak. 
Instead, he extended his tiny talons and carefully lowered himself onto this beautiful shiny perch.
For a moment, even I believed it might work.

He raised himself above the flow and tried from another angle.   
His toes were so small there was hardly a splash.

He made a few more attempts to stand on water,

and then he retreated to a more substantial perch in the forsythia bush. 

To ponder physics, no doubt. 

25 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh!! So sweet I can hardly stand it!
    Did you know hummers can't walk? I just learned this from a friend who volunteers at bird and wild animal rescue orgs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are such a poet!
    I love this post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely Lauren, I absolutely adore these drawings! how lucky you were to have this charming encounter.

    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is incredibly precious and amazing. Love your drawings! ~Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are so talented! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cool! Some hummingbirds prefer to bathe by dipping their tiny butts in flowing water, though this little guy probably hasn't had much practice at it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, my gosh! Hummers can't walk? I guess I never saw one do it and never wondered. (I don't see them do much - took years before I spotted one perching.) Guess I spot chickens better...... hahahaha. Oh, dear.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You brighten my life.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this, Lauren! Every tiny bit of it. <3

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are so blessed to be able to draw what happened for us since you were unable to take photos!!
    Thank you for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can only echo what others had said. This is so cute and you are so lucky to have the talent to draw when it's impossible to capture in photos. This is so sweet and thank you for sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your drawings are as delicate as that hummingbird. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I certainly agree to some points that you have discussed on this post. I appreciate that you have shared some reliable tips on this review.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This happened to me earlier this week. A hummer fluttered by and hovered over the spray taking tiny little drops and then enjoying a quick shower! It was delightful!!

    ReplyDelete

  15. I really like it when individuals come together and share thoughts.
    Great site, continue the good work!

    Feel free to visit my website: 휴게텔

    (freaky)

    ReplyDelete