True stories of a small flock of remarkable individuals -- and other critters.



Friday, March 22, 2013

A Beloved Bird

When I asked Tammy Barani of the wonderful blog, Our Neck of the Woods, if I might do a drawing of one of her creatures, she sent me some photos of Buttercup, her dear Wyandotte, who passed away in December. 

I took a look at Buttercup and I froze.
  
It had been easy to draw Melissa's Tilly, chatting and singing on the roost.

Goofy little Rachel was a breeze to draw too. She's basically a knot of orange twirly lines, and she's still alive and kicking. 

Buttercup, however, is only a treasured memory. There was more at stake in creating this image. Emotions were involved.
   

But, being an illustrator, I mustered the focus to hunker down and give it a try. 
I aimed for a more classical, rather than comical, style.  


Tammy, here's your special gal. 

Tammy has already done a book giveaway on her blog, so since my timing was off, we're doing ANOTHER giveaway of Once Upon a Flock --  Please head on over to Our Neck of the Woods and leave a friendly comment, and you might just get lucky!


12 comments:

  1. RIP Buttercup. ~ One of the hardest things in life is losing a family pet ~ they are never with us long enough. Lauren, I love this illustration of Buttercup. I think you captured her perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a fan of Tammy's blog I wanted to hop over here and say that your drawing of Buttercup is so beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lauren, thank you so much for creating this special illustration of my sweet girl! I am in love with it and I will treasure it forever. It captures Buttercup's personality perfectly and she looks so healthy and happy. The classical style is such a wonderful way to portray her spirit and a very fitting tribute. I can't say thank you enough :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read Tammy's blog and am so thankful to you for taking such care and thought whilst illustrating her beloved hen. Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You did a wonderful job with the likeness.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Tammy's blog and sweet spirit. I just had to pop over to check out your post on Buttercup. Its wonderful. You are truly blessed with a wonderful gift of illustration. Beautiful Job. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a sweet chicken! I went over and entered to win. Fingers crossed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You can do classical style just as well Lauren. Well done. She looks like a real sweety.

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh u did a fantastic job drawing her

    ReplyDelete
  10. You truly did select a special blog to highlight today and you did a lovely job of capturing Buttercup. She looks like she is smiling = happy eye!! I've enjoyed viewing your work and do wish you the very best with your new book Lauren!! You're a natural!

    ReplyDelete
  11. My copy of your book arrived two days ago. I had registered for pre-order! What a treasure it is! I love the size and feel of it! It couldn't be better. Thanks for doing this!!

    ReplyDelete