True stories of a small flock of remarkable individuals -- and other critters.



Wednesday, March 10, 2010

GOOD MORNING

...continued from previous post: EGG EMERGENCY



Lucy got straight to work raising her little one.



Hear Lucy?   Budup.. budup..
When she finds a treat in the corner, she has a different sound for that.  the chick knows exactly what she's talking about.

The chick stayed put inside the nestbox for only a day.
Then it toppled off the ledge.   I couldn't figure out how to babyproof Lucy's coop, so I put together a new home for them -- something easy and safe and quick:

This:






becomes this:








. . . . . . . . . . . . . . 

This:                             becomes this:









. . . . . . . . . .



. . . . . . . . . .

Lucy looked like any new mother..









.....happy and exhausted.

 . . . . . . . . next post:  LESSONS

7 comments:

  1. OMG! Too adorable! I love the budup! You are very resourceful. You need to do that Real Simple was this/ now this. Can't wait for the next installment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to read what happens next! I just love this ... you are SOOO talented!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE the video, thank you for posting it. I loved getting to here the real "Budup .. Budup".
    You really are amazingly talented and resourceful!! An inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How adorable!! I feel so "artificial" only hatching chicken eggs from an incubator. . . But we don't have broodies. Yet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is the greatest blog I've ever read! Thank you for sharing your stories, drawings, photos AND of course the terrific video of Lucy & her baby :) So sweet, fun and well-written! Incidentally, a shout out to Best Friends Animal Shelter, whose FB post led me to your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. P.S. I completely second what Carrie & Justin said: amazingly talented, and I loved hearing the real "Budup".

    ReplyDelete